Mission and Vision
Connect Us is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop skills in young children necessary to becoming socially competent, self-confident, and resilient individuals through physical, creative, and collaborative play in a guided learning environment.
Using the Social Competence Inclusive Play (SCIP) model, Connect Us:
- Builds social competence in children who are susceptible to being bullied or becoming bullies
- Improves elementary school recess environments
- Provides programs that advance community education and awareness of early interventions
Connect Us envisions a world where all children embrace diversity and social stigmas do not exist. Despite differences and abilities, all children learn from each other and can flourish in nonjudgmental, inclusive environments.
- Early intervention is critical in building foundational social skills
- Future social problems are prevented when we develop social competence early in childhood
- All children desire friendships and want to be included
- Children with differences in abilities learn tolerance and acceptance when they are brought together in positive, team-based settings
- The most effective time to help children develop social skills is during “real time” play situation
- Bullying will be eliminated when adults or student mentors are actively engaged with students at recess
- Children susceptible to bullying or becoming bullies are best served when schools, parents and community organizations collaborate to address the issue
- It is critical to increase community awareness of early social interventions and how they prevent social, emotional and behavioral problems