Mission and Vision
Connect Us is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop skills in young children necessary to becoming socially competent, self-confident, and resilient individuals through physical, creative, and collaborative play in a guided learning environment.
Using the Social Competence Inclusive Play (SCIP) model, Connect Us:
- Builds social competence in children who are susceptible to being bullied or becoming bullies
- Improves elementary school recess environments
- Provides programs that advance community education and awareness of early interventions
Connect Us envisions a world where all children embrace diversity and social stigmas do not exist. Despite differences and abilities, all children learn from each other and can flourish in nonjudgmental, inclusive environments.
- Social and emotional problems are prevented when social skill development is a priority early in childhood
- All children desire friendships and want to be included
- Facilitating the development of social skills is most effective during ‘real time’ play situations
- Bullies may always exist, but they’ll have no power when we instill skills, values and expectations early in childhood to overcome bystander mentality
- The Golden Rule should be a critical component of early education
- During recess, students should have access to adults and mentors who assist with conflict resolution and inclusion
- Bystander mentality and indifference is perpetuated early in life when kids are ignored or reprimanded for ‘tattling’
- Children susceptible to bullying or becoming bullies are best served when schools, parents and the community collaborate to address the issues